Host a Participant from Japan
Take advantage of an exciting opportunity to engage in cultural exchange with young people from Japan! During their time in Seattle, they participate in one of iLEAP’s intensive leadership training programs during the day and enjoy spending time with hosts during evenings and weekends. Programs are typically from 1 to 3 weeks in length.
Hosts are an integral part of learning for iLEAP participants, often providing unique perspectives. Hosts with young children often benefit from the exposure to a different culture and language, starting them on the path to being globally minded. We have heard many stories of hosts and participants staying in touch for years to come, with some hosts visiting and being hosted in return by their participants in Japan.
Hosts Needed – Apply Now!
- 2020 Global Leadership (University)
February 9 – February 28 (3 Weeks)
March 1 – March 20 (3 Weeks)
- 2020 Future Leaders Camp (High School)
March 22 – March 28 (1 week)
- 2020 Kaeru (High School)
March 29 – April 4 (1 week)
When you become a host, you:
- Create memories and build lifelong intercultural friendships.
- Expose yourself and family members to global citizenship.
- Enrich you and/or your family’s experience learning about the Japanese culture.
- Become an ambassador, sharing you and/or your family’s culture and lifestyle.
- Exceptional participants: Our participants are smart, engaged and excited to share their lives with you and for you to share your lives with them!
- Preparation: iLEAP participants are largely self-sufficient and use public transportation. Our staff are available at all hours to provide assistance and make sure you have a positive experience.
- A weekly stipend for hosts: While many choose to donate it back to iLEAP, stipends are provided to ensure that hosts are comfortable providing for participants.
- Home environment: treat your guest as part of the family!
- A private room and bed: 2 participants can share a room, each having their own bed.
- Meals: breakfast, packable lunch, and dinner.
- Location near a bus line: within 45 minutes commuting distance to iLEAP.
“…bringing students into our home who are intentionally exploring the world and their place has opened up some awareness for our children and our family as a whole. Both kids have learned that a person can be a stranger one day and part of our family the next. Hosting iLEAP students reminds us all that the doors of possibility are wide open and that our kids can venture into the world, make connections and ignite change. Hosting for iLEAP is a wonderful gift to give your own family.”
– Shannon Salverda, Chatterbox Learning, iLEAP Host for 3 years
“The first time my family had an iLEAP student stay with us, I was 10. I have learned so much from having students stay with us…I have made a lot of new friends and learned a lot of different things from each person I met. Every year, each student is so different and I love having them stay with us!”
– Kaia Salverda, iLEAP Host, Age 13